BIME dashboards provide a customizable space for organizing and sharing your queries. You can create dashboards in the Dashboard Builder. Similar to BIME's other builders, the Dashboard Builder is an interactive tool for adding, customizing, and saving dashboards.
You can open the Dashboard Builder by selecting the Save as new to dashboard option in the Query Builder. If you select this option, your query will automatically be added to a dashboard. You can create empty dashboards or edit existing ones in the Dashboards library ().
Any object you add to a dashboard is referred to as a widget. Widgets include queries, images, filters, and any additional objects added to your dashboard.
This section contains the following topics:
- Static widgets will not affect query results or how users interact with your dashboard. Static objects include images, text, shapes, queries, and tabs.
- Interactive widgets enables viewers to set what query results to view and how to view them. With interactive widgets, users can change the metrics or attributes displayed, add filters, or add global variables. Users can save their edited dashboard as a bookmark to view again later. For more information on adding, managing, and editing interactive widgets, see Adding dashboard interactions.
If you are adding multiple widgets to your dashboard, BIME offers some simple features to help arrange your widgets.
The following are the available features:
- Snap to grid displays red lines to indicate where your widgets are located on the grid. The snap to grid feature only appears if you have more than one widget added. The feature activates whenever you are moving a widget.
- Automatically reorganize widgets rearranges your widgets so they fill the entire tab. Automatically reorganize widgets will replace any custom sizes or positions you enter. To use this feature click Automatically reorganize widgets () in Tab options at the top of the Dashboard Builder.
Note: Before you use this option, set your tab dimension or select Tab options > Fit tab to screen ().
Try it yourself: Add a widget to a new dashboard
If you would like to try adding widgets to a new dashboard, follow the steps below. If you selected the Save as new to dashboard option in the Query Builder, you can follow steps 3-10 to add and arrange a second widget. If you have not created a query, see Creating queries.
- Click the Dashboards library icon () on the left panel.
- Click the + New button to add a new dashboard. If you have not created any dashboards, click Create a dashboard now.
- In the Dashboard menu at the top of the Dashboard builder, click the + button.
- From the drop-down list, select Add query.
- You will automatically be redirected to your Data sources library.
- Select a connection, then a query.
- Click Select to add the query.
- The new query will be added to your dashboard
- Move your widget by dragging and dropping.
- If you add another widget, you can use the Snap to grid or the Automatically reorganize widgets options to align your widgets. The example below adds a change attribute filter to permit users to select a new attribute.
After you add your widgets, you can begin to customize your dashboard. This section provides an overview of the available customization options. For more information, see Customizing your dashboard.
Available customization options
There are five different customization menus available. These customization menus are located at the top of the Dashboard Builder.
The five available customization menus are:
- Dashboard includes undo, redo, and duplicate dashboard options. You can also use the paint feature to apply your formatting across multiple tabs.
- Tab options edits interactions, widget slides, and export settings. You can also edit the tab fill color and font.
- Dashboard title edits the dashboard title size, text color, and fill color. You can also use the Add image option to add an image to your dashboard title.
- Widget formatting edits the header size, border color, border and header visibility, border edges, and manually set widget positions. This menu will only appear when you select a widget.
- Widget header: edits the header text color, size, formatting, position, and header fill color. This menu will only appear when you select a widget.
Try it yourself: Customize your dashboard
The steps below will instruct you on how to customize your dashboard title and widget header. If you are looking for more advanced customization options, see Customizing your dashboard.
- In the Dashboard Builder, type directly into the dashboard title text box to rename your dashboard.
- Open the Dashboard title customization menu.
- Edit any dashboard title options. The example below edits the text size, color, and fill color.
- Select any widget on your dashboard. The Widget options and Widget header menus will automatically appear.
- In Widget options, select Hide/show header ().
- Your header will automatically be hidden.
After you finish customizing your dashboard, you can publish and share it with viewers. See the next section for information on publishing and sharing your dashboard.
Publishing and sharing dashboards
The final step in building a dashboard is publishing and sharing your dashboard with viewer groups. You can add viewers to viewer groups to grant them permission to dashboards, attributes, and queries. If you have any interaction options enabled, you will need to share with viewer groups before publishing. For information, see Creating and managing viewers and viewer groups.
This section contains the following topics:
Standard sharing options
When you share dashboards you can select from standard sharing options. These options will appear when you click the Publish changes button or Publishing options icon ().
- Entered viewer groups
- A web link
- An embed code
If you have interactions enabled, the web link and embed code will not appear until you share your dashboard with a viewer group. For information on disabling dashboard interaction options, see Disabling data interaction options.
Advanced sharing options
BIME also offers advanced sharing options to ensure your dashboard is secure. You can keep the dashboard private, set authentication methods, or change URL permissions.
To set Advanced options:
- Click the Advanced link underneath Share this dashboard with box.
Try it yourself: Share your dashboard
- Click either the Publish changes button or the Publish icon ().
- Click the Advanced link underneath the Share this dashboard with text box.
- In Advanced, select the Viewer groups option.
- Click create.
- You will automatically be redirected to the Viewers menu. Click the Let's create one button to add a new viewer group .
- Enter a name and language for your viewer group, then click Save.
- On the next screen, you can add viewers to your user group. You can either add users individually or bulk import users. These instructions add an individual viewer. For information on bulk importing users, see Creating multiple viewers.
- Click the Add viewer icon ().
- Enter your user's email address, a new password, and their user group.
- When you are finished, click Save.
- Your viewer will automatically be added to the viewer group. Click Ok.
- You can now select your user group to share with.
- Reload data sets the amount of time until data refreshes.
- Define logo selects a logo for your dashboard.
- Show logout displays the sign out button to users.
To edit publishing settings
- Click the More options... link underneath your dashboard embed code.